SAGINAW — When the five young women make their perpetual profession of vows within the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma at 10:30 a.m. on August 16, at the Cathedral of Mary of the Assumption in Saginaw, it will be the culmination of eight years of religious formation along with normal professional education. The young women who hold or are currently working toward advanced degrees, will use their education to help serve the needs of the Church in whatever capacity that they are asked.
The Most Rev. Joseph R. Cistone, Bishop of Saginaw, will celebrate the Mass. The names of the women being professed are:
• Sister Mary Patrice Ahearn, RSM, a doctoral candidate at the Institute for the Psychological Sciences in Arlington, Va.
• Sister Regina Marie Connor, RSM, a student of theological studies in Rome, Italy
• Sister Mary Gretchen Hoffman, RSM, a medical resident in internal medicine in Knoxville, Tenn.
• Sister Mara Lester, RSM, a fourth year medical student at George Washington University in Washington, D.C.
• Sister Anna Marie McGuan, RSM, a student in theological studies in Rome, Italy
The sisters believe and recognize together that the call to religious life comes entirely from God and upon recognizing the divine invitation, “she senses the need to respond by unconditionally dedicating her life to God, consecrating to Him all things present and future, and placing them in His hands.” (Vita Consecrata, 17) This is culminated in perpetual profession of vows.
The Religious Sisters of Mercy welcome all to attend this ceremony, particularly those young women who might be wondering if God is calling them to a religious life.
In addition to Bishop Cistone, two other Bishops and approximately 40 priests will be concelebrating the Eucharistic liturgy. Families and friends of the Sisters from all parts of the United States will be present as well.
WHAT: Five young women will make perpetual profession of vows within the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma
WHEN: 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, August 16
WHERE: Cathedral of Mary of the Assumption, 615 Hoyt Ave., Saginaw