The Disability Awareness Conference is a one-day conference, offered by the Diocese of Saginaw, to promote inclusion of people with all types of disabilities (both visible and invisible) within our communities and to bring awareness to the issues that may prevent their full participation within parishes. Jan Benton, Executive Director of the National Catholic Partnership on Disability (NCPD) will present the keynote address on “The Guidelines for the Celebration of Sacraments with Persons with Disabilities” which were recently revised. The day will begin at 9:00 a.m. with Mass and will include the following presentations:
- Implementation of the “The Guidelines for the Celebration of Sacraments with Persons with Disabilities” (for Priests, Deacons and Pastoral Administrators)
- Using the revised guidelines for sacramental preparation (for Faith Formation Leaders, Youth Ministers and Catechists)
- Creating Belonging Parishes
- Choosing & Celebrating Life
Other highlights include:
- Praise and worship celebration at the end of the day by musician Bob Richart.
- Vendor tables and displays with information from local agencies and publishers.
- Spanish translators available.
- Interpreters for the Deaf available.
- Catered lunch by Maria’s Authentic Mexican Restaurant featuring a variety of Mexican and American food.
All are welcome! Including; Priests, Parish Leaders, Deacons, Seminarians, Lay Ministers, Catechists, Teachers, Youth Ministers, Formation Leaders, Pastoral Care Visitors, Parents, Families, Friends and Care Providers, Community Agencies, Surrounding Dioceses, Hospitality Ministers, Children and Adults with Disabilities and all who have a heart for disability ministry.
Doors open at 8:00 a.m. for check-in. Mass will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m.